aubio

Re: Aubio on Windows

Hello Stefan and all,

CCing aubio@piem.org to let everyone on the list know.

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 01:22:05PM -0600, Stefan Roesch wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I sent an email yesterday about compiling on windows.  i've downloaded
> cygwin to run sh, csh, etc
>
> when i run the configure command it finds the gcc compiler fine and
> everything but it gets hung up on complex.h.  i have complex.h in multiple
> places, namely:
>
> /lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/include/c++/backward
> /usr/include/mingw
>
> but it isn't finding them.  i tried including them using the
> --includedir=DIR and  --oldincludedir=DIR flags to no avail.

The problem you are facing is that the gcc included in cygwin does not
contain the ANSI C99 complex implementation. For now, I know of two
solutions to compile aubio on windows:

  - use mingw on a windows platform
  - use mingw on a linux platform to cross compile for windows

In both cases, you would first need to compile fftw3, libsndfile and
libsamplerate.

I am currently trying to automate the second option, with limited
results. The executables at http://aubio.piem.org/beta/win32/ were
produced this way.

I do not have regular access to a windows box, but I could compile an
aubio.dll for puredata using mingw on a friend's machine. The results is
at the same location.

pkg-config is a little problematic to compile (circular dependancy on
glib) so i just used the one from cygwin. i also had to trick pkgconfig
to find the correct flags, and manually compile the dll for puredata.

> how would i go about pointing the configure script properly.

The aubio configure script will need the --disable-warnings flags to
compile in mingw. You might also want to use --enable-float for fftw.

About java support, I am not familiar with loading shared librairies
from within java, so I couldn't advise on this. However it should be
easy generate a java interface using the SWIG template.

HTH, let us know how far you go.

Best regards, Paul