aubio

Re: Minor build problems

Ok, I'm nearly there!

Yes, I had to update my autotools (now have automake 1.8.5, autoconf
2.59, libtoolize 1.5.16) - I actually learnt this lesson before on
Debian but I've never had the habit of changing/updating on my Mac.

> > it can't find
> > Python.h - a SWIG file I think. Does that mean my SWIG install is bad?
>
> no, this means that you don't have the python-dev package installed.

For the benefit of any future Mac readers, fink (a Mac equivalent of
apt-get) doesn't have the same packages as apt-get - there is no
python-dev package - and I think the -dev stuff is included in the
python package, which I've now updated. The file exists in
/sw/include/python2.3/Python.h.

So now the bootstrap and configure steps work ok - but the make fails
with this error:

[...]
mkdir .libs/libaubio.lax/libfftw3.a
Extracting /usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a
(cd .libs/libaubio.lax/libfftw3.a && ar x /usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a)
libtool: link: ERROR: object name conflicts:
.libs/libaubio.lax/libfftw3.a//usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a
make[2]: *** [libaubio.la] Error 1
[...]

I found this thread dealing with object name conflicts in libtool:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2005-05/msg00764.html

It suggests a small patch to ltmain.sh, but whether I apply the patch
or not, I still get the same result. I presume that can only refer to
the ltmain.sh in the aubio directory?

Since the thread was about a regression between libtool 1.5.14 and
1.5.16, I tried going back to 1.5.14 - got it from gnu.org, compiled,
installed - but now the aubio bootstrap script fails with

configure.ac:51: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:53: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
autoreconf: /sw/bin/autoconf-2.59 failed with exit status: 1

According to the release notes of libtool 1.5.14 it should be fine to
work with my versions of autoconf and automake.

So now I'm out of ideas. I know this is a problem with autotools
versus my setup, not with aubio, but any hints would be very welcome.
Thanks again for the replies so far.